Applications for the 2019 round will close on May 27, 2019.
TASA’s Precarious Work Scholarship Fund (PWSF) was established in 2018 and is funded by TASA. The scholarships aim to support participation at TASA annual conferences by those academics or applied sociologists who find themselves in casual or fixed term work conditions. Precarious work is defined for these scholarships as non-standard employment characterized by sub-standard work benefits. This broad definition has been further clarified to include the criteria of holding casual positions or a fixed term contract of no more than six months.
The recipient of the prize this year will receive:
- Registration for the 2019 conference (not transferrable to future conferences);
- Travel funding for 2019 scholarship recipients who reside in Qld, Vic, SA, Tas & ACT (up to $400), regional NSW (up to $200) and NT, WA, and Far North Queensland (FNQ) (see FNQ map) (up to $600)
Those eligible for consideration of the scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant has submitted a conference abstract, of which they are first or sole author, by the conference submission date;
- Applicant has submitted a Nomination Form including a one page statement outlining the significance of their research to the conference theme and the contribution the research will make to Australian sociology;
- Applicant has not previously been a recipient of the award;
- Applicant is, at the time of submitting the application, in fixed term contract work of no more than six months or casual work.
- Applicant has a PhD and is a financial TASA member as at the closing date for scholarship applications; and
- Applicant agrees to submit a brief report on their research, their conference experience and what receiving the scholarship meant to their studies, to be published in Nexus/TASA blog/Postgraduate blog, if awarded a scholarship.
The following Selection Criteria will be taken into consideration:
|Significance of research to conference theme||25 points|
|Contribution research will make to Australian sociology||25 points|
|Location/distance from conference venue||20 points|
|Financial hardship and/or care responsibilities (where this impacts on capacity to pay for conference attendance)||20 points|
|Commitment to TASA (eg years of membership)||10 points|
Selection panel will normally consist of the Vice President (Conference Convenor) and one further TASA executive member.
Application Procedure & Nomination form
- Nominations must be made on this official nomination form and submitted, electronically, to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 27, 2019.
- Applications will be reviewed by TASA Executive sub-committee.
- Up to five scholarships may be awarded each year.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome in enough time for those nominees who were not successful to still register for the conference in time to be included in the program (September 6) and access the ‘Early Bird’ rate (closes October 1).
- The decision of the review panel is final and no further discussions will be entered into.
- Precarious work scholarship winners will be emailed a special link to use to access the complimentary conference registration.
- Precarious work scholarship winners will also be reimbursed for travel costs up to the value set based on their location. Travel funding for 2019 will be up to $400 per scholarship, for those applicants who reside in Qld, Vic., SA, Tas & ACT, up to $200 for those who reside in regional NSW, and up to $600 for those who reside in NT, WA, and Far North Queensland (FNQ) (see FNQ map). One claim may be made for each scholarship winner and must include receipts. Expenses may be claimed before or soon after the conference, as long as receipts are provided for all expenses. Please note: you will need to take out travel insurance (usually around $18) if you would like to be reimbursed before the conference. You can include the cost of travel insurance in your claim. Please email Sally at the TASA Office (email@example.com) and request a claim form.
2018 Inaugural Recipients
- Angela Leahy
- Lara McKenzie
- Karima Moraby
- Maree Martinussen
- Judy Rose