To make changes to this page:
First right click on the news widget or event widgets to filter them by category for this thematic group.
To change the names in the right hand purple column, simply select the text and re-type the name. To change the image, right click on the image and select "change image" from the popup context menu. The image doesn't need to be square - but should be relatively square. When the page is displayed at run-time, some code will execute and the image will change to a circle.The extra white space between the member names in the right hand purple column will be removed when the page is displayed. It doesn't matter if there is some extra space between the members here.
To change the links below the members "view members, blog, recent publications", etc right click on the link and select "Change link" from the popup context menu. Use the menu builder to make a new link. You can filter the membership directory by subgroup and a few other parameters. Maybe that will help.
The facebook feed on this page is loaded differently than other pages. Do not remove the link below the twitter feed widget.
To change the video click in the white space beneath the video, and press backspace to delete the video.
Then use the media embed icon in the editor toolbar to paste in the youtube embed code. CHANGE THE WIDTH to 100%, and the height to 200px in the code they provide.
Applied Sociology Thematic Group
Aims and Objectives
The Applied Sociology Thematic Group aims to create a supportive network for applied social researchers working in non-academic positions, and to increase visibility of their research projects, activities and achievements. Applied sociologists are employed in diverse contexts, including (but not limited to): consultancy and private industry, government and non-government organisations, and other contract work. Applied sociology has a focus on practical applications of sociological knowledge with a view to providing improved outcomes for different groups of people. This research is often conducted within a multidisciplinary environment and in collaboration with different organisations, including community services, activist groups and universities. Members are involved in dynamic research projects, including policy development, community advocacy, project management, and social welfare.
The Applied Sociology Thematic Group is committed to enhancing understanding of the challenges that their members face in their everyday working environments and in negotiating their career trajectories. The Group’s objectives are:
- To raise the public profile of applied sociological research within TASA, academia and the wider public
- To support sociology graduates and to develop an agenda for career opportunities outside of academia
- To provide a basis for streams on applied sociology at TASA conferences
- To organise workshops, seminars, conferences, lectures and other research activities on topics related to applied sociological research, with a sensitivity to the funding, geographic and time constraints of members’ working lives
- To encourage publications that address the issues encountered by sociologists working outside academia
- To nurture relationships with other interdisciplinary groups and organisations